Updated 30 July. Following government guidance, the castle and gardens at Hillsborough Castle are now open Thursday-Sunday. Please read our visit information.
Key Stage 4 and Key Stage 5 | Subject: Art & Design | Topic: Printmaking, Surface Design, Textiles | Session Type: Route-based and classroom-based
Hillsborough Castle is home to a wonderful collection of artwork and objects, all set within beautiful interiors. Students are invited to explore the collection in the State Rooms, as well as the silk, wallpaper and textiles adorning the rooms in order to gather inspiration for creating their own, historically-inspired, textiles.
Led by an artist facilitator students will use heat reactive dyes to create their own textile designs, which they can add to their portfolio of work.
• Learn about some of the art collection and objects on display at Hillsborough Castle.
• Take inspiration from the collection and interiors to inform their own work.
• Learn how to design and create textile designs using heat reactive dyes.
National Curriculum links
This session supports:
• The development of creative thinking skills and personal creative outcomes through investigating, realising, designing and making through printmaking and textiles.
• Development of an appreciation of the work of artists, designers and craft workers; past and present.
• Gathering information and inspiration from direct experience in an historic house.
2019-2020 Academic Year
Thursday & Friday
Up to 25 students